Thursday, January 12, 2012

Respect the Desert!

I'm so excited to be able to get back out to Ocotillo Wells again this weekend and go for a couple of long rides through the desert. Last weekend, I had a blast getting out and cruising around. On a couple of occasions I even took off on solo rides. As I think back on that, I've come to the conclusion that solo rides probably aren't a good idea, even if you think you're just going to do a short loop. I remember being out in the desert a couple times last week and having to stop to pick up a bike, or check the map and thinking to myself that it's damn hot and bone dry out here. 


Now that I really think about it, there were times when I didn't respect the desert. I may have left camp without water or without telling anybody where I was going- bad idea! I stumbled across this story (click here) that really hammered home how thin the line is between being alive and laughing on your motorbike and being dried up and dead in the desert. The place isn't a joke and when I go back this weekend I'm going to remember to respect the desert!

No comments:

Post a Comment