Saturday, December 17, 2011

Gotta lot to learn

So stoked! Got my new tires put onto my bike and it looks killer!!! Check it out:

Meaty!!!
I was told by the Service Manager that I was putting my life in danger by riding with a rear tire on the front. This did get me a little worried so I consulted the lurkers on the ADVRider forum who assured me that they've been going this route for some time now and there's been no accidents that they can remember. So I'm in... and I'm super happy with how the bike feels now. At very low speed the front end does have a little warble to it but I think that will settle down as the knobbies wear in. I will be using this bike almost exclusively on the dirt so I'm happy with the very aggressive tread of the Kenda TrackMaster II that I put on the front end.

The TrackMaster II is a rear tire that TW200 owners often run on the front of their bikes. It's got giant knobbies on it and it almost looks like a paddle tire. I'm excited to see how it does on the sand of the southern Baja trails I want to ride the bike on.
I've also convinced myself that this will be the last time I have a shop change a tire for me. I'm going to by the tire irons and learn to do this task myself. This is going to be super important when we start to ride remote trails where a flat could be very bad news for somebody without the tools or know-how to fix it. I'm also planning to learn how to change the oil in the bike and adjust brakes and clutch. And I think my head bearings need to be replaced, there's a strange catch as you turn the bike from side to side that needs to be addressed. Ah, the maintenance necessities of a twenty year old motorcycle. It all seems simple enough to do on your own but the fact remains, I've got a lot to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment