Monday, May 27, 2013

More Motos... welcome DL650 Vee-strom.

Well- once again, a lot has changed since I last posted here. Gone is Purple Rain (my first moto ever a trusty TW200) replaced with a 2006 Suzuki DRZ400s. I also bought a 2006 Triumph Bonneville that had been converted into a really cool cafe racer. My crowning achievement thus far, however, is my brand spanking new, zero mile, 2013 Suzuki DL650 Vee-Strom. This bike is insanely cool! I have to say, I was resistant about buying what is known as the Honda Civic of motorcycles. If you have similar feelings- don't worry about it, just buy one- you'll love it. 

Not a great shot of the bike but you get the idea... 2013 DL650, open road, glorious sunshine... happiness.

The bike is only 650cc but it will motor at 80 all day long without complaining. Even better, on the last two trips it's given me 57 mpg on average (hand calculated all you naysayers)! Wow- calculating fuel mileage is one of the things I like most about the bike- it's great on gas! Important to me was a bike with ABS braking, my Vee-strom checks that box and also sports a very comfortable seat and riding position and let's not forget the 5.3 gallon tank which gives me close to a three hundred mile range (I've never pushed it but I've gotten 260 miles on one tank and when I went to fill it, I had close to a gallon still in it). 

I've also been told that the Suzuki is incredibly reliable and that the cost of replacing broken parts won't also break the bank. I'm stoked on it. I will say, though, that at times the right handlebar get's a little buzzy when you're running near 6000 rpm which is close to 80 miles per hour. It's not enough to ruin the ride but, in all fairness, it is apparent. At sub-65 miles per hour, the bike is as smooth as butter. 

Probably posted this same picture before... but, damn, she's a looker. My other kid: 2006 Triumph Bonneville- loud and fun.

So there you have it- my new moto family consisting of the following: 2006 Triumph Bonneville Cafe, 2006 Suzuki DRZ400s and 2013 Suzuki DL650 Vee-strom. Too bad I only have one ass to ride them all.

And for the dirt... Suzuki DRZ400s... already been to southern Baja and yes, the milk crate did survive.

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog! Enjoyed reading through your posts. Congrats on the new bike and the Suzuki and Triumph. Have been toying with the idea of getting a Triumph myself! Just purchased a TW, hence how I found your blog to begin with. Ride safe and keep posting. Let me know if and when you ever feel like selling the Triumph in particular! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mario! Thanks for checking out the blog- I promise to update it ASAP. I have a lot to add to the blog about the gear I've picked up for our upcoming Southern Utah adventure ride.

    Congrats on the TW200! I sold Purple Rain but I actually still have one in my garage (my girlfriend bought one for her daughter) we're trading it for a plated KTM400exc... but... I still wish I had one- they are the perfect bike for hanging off a bumper on southern Baja surf trips.

    If you have the room for a Triumph Bonneville- you should definitely buy one! I bought mine used (I snagged an unbelievable deal) and am certain that I'll never sell it. It's so fun to ride- and people love it! I think, in all, it's my favorite bike.

    Check back soon- and you can check my brother's blog about our trip: www.motoaway.com

    Again, thanks for checking out the blog!

    ReplyDelete